Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blue Christmas


Yesterday I was having trouble with my printer - the ink light came on and the printing suddenly changed - like no red. So I put in a new color cartridge and started printing a page of wallet size shots of my Christmas tree which is decorated in blue and silver this year. Wooooo - the pix ended up super greeny blue - very strange but being the miser that I am, I thought okay I will just print out a pic of the whole tree like this to use on the layout for my design your life assignment and then put in a new black cartridge. the layouts for dyl are not really my style but I have to admit that I have learned quite a lot about graphic design and typography from Cathy Zielske through this class. To finish the layout, I cropped the photos, added a title, and finally added some ribbon (line) and some epoxy seals (repetition). Considering the fiasco of the color printing, the layout came out pretty cool. I have one layout left to finish for the class - I'm doing a two page spread of my trip to Anthropologie in West Palm.

Other mischief - yesterday afternoon I made sugar cookies to decorate. I used a recipe from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook but I was extra careful to keep the butter chilled (difficult in Florida) per the article I read about butter in the online New York Times. the cookies look absolutely beautiful - I will decorate them this afternoon and also make shortbread for Dan. I realized while I was making the cookies that I had failed to make an apron for the holidays this year so while the cookies were baking, I pulled out the current issue of Quilts & more which I had purchased some time ago. they had a really cute ruffled tiered apron pattern. I then dug through my fabric stash and came up with 4 fabrics that I had enough of to make the apron - 2 were Amy Butler and 2 were Heather Bailey so this is my Bailey-Butler or Butler-Bailey apron. Right now the front is all together and I am sewing the ties. I will post a pic later today or tomorrow along with a funny picture of a 50's woman in an apron and high heels - it is from one of my Little Golden Books. I'm not putting on high heels for my pic - it will be just me in my apron, jeans, and bare feet.

No comments: