Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My layout got picked for the SIS Catwalk!!!




I am so excited: my ANTHRO layout that I did for the Creative Type challenge got selected for the Catwalk on Scrap n style by Martha B. Sometime in the week I check the Carwalk just to see the layouts they selected because there are so many layouts posted every day and I only have limited time to look. I hadn't checked on Tuesday but a Sister messaged me congratulating me--I was so excited!!! I have been trying to follow the Bruce Mau philosophy of not entering contests (so I limited my entries to just a few challenges) and not wanting approval from others to determine the worth of my art but, honestly, it sure makes me feel great to get postive feedback like that. I really enjoyed doing this layout, and actually it was like the layout did itself.




I had been thinking about what word to use for the Creative Type challenge and then after we went to West Palm last week and I took the photos of Anthropologie, I actually dreamed the type - Anthro - and I used word to try to match the font - I played with sizes until I got the approximate size I wanted. I saw in my mind the streaks of paint behind the letters and then the embellishments all around. I used some vintage fabric and some Amy Butler fabric, a chandelier rubon, and one of the photos I took last week. Since we studied line in my dyl class, I have been obsessed with line so I made one with the black velvet ribbon, stapled it sort of pleated, and added an old rhinestone heart that reminded me of Anthropologie. Then I made the big flower from a big Making Memories paper flower, a Heidi Swapp flower, and 2 MM felt flowers. I tried quite a few centers until I remembered some vintage cufflinks I have in my button stash and even though it was a pain getting it through all those layers (thank goodness for cropadile), I think it came out really cool. Then I just sort of followed my instincts and added the K&co Amy Butler flower (just got them last week), a Heidi Swapp mirror bird (love them but can't seem to make them work on layouts very well), and a couple of old Heidi Grace pins. All in all, I bet I only spent an hour and a half on this layout, which is incredible for me as I am a super slow scrapper.

No comments: