Friday, April 3, 2009

RAK and the past week

I just realized that I have not blogged all week so while I sit here enjoying a glass of wine, I will recap through photos my week. Above is a watercolor that I am currently working on - I took the photo of the key lime tree in our yard last year and I love the colors green and yellow right now so I thought it would be a perfect little practice piece.
A view of my easel and my furry painting companion. This coming week in my watercolor and more class, we are going to paint animals so I have been sketching and photographing Hana in preparation for the class. I need to do some value studies and a final sketch for the painting.
This is the painting I did in class last week. It started as a free form watercolor, then I took real leaves and painted them with gesso, and used them as stamps on the watercolor. After they dried, I painted them and then did some negative painting to accent them.
I finally have my yellow and green sunflower wallhanging all pieced and layered with batting and backing. I have just begun to quilt it in the center.
I have also been reorganizing my studio and ridding out (destashing). I put my fabrics in 3 piles: those I loved, those that I wondered why I ever purchased them, and undecideds. I decided to RAK these Japanese fabrics - they are primarily fat quarters, I think one is a half yard so altogether this is approximately 1 3/4 yds of Japanese fabrics. Just leave a comment on this blog and I will randomly pick one on Monday 4/6.
I'm off to SIStv to advertise my RAK and to do a little "free shopping". I have already completed one free shopping layout and I find the list of items always stirs my creative juices.




21 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Chris!
I am visiting via A year of colour to say hello. Your fabric looks lovely and would make interesting doll costumes so here's hoping!
I love the picture of your furry painting companion. I have two of those! Your work is lovely-I love your watercolours. I shall be back to visit again!
Sarah :)

pamala said...

Your watercolors are gorgeous! Lov ethem! Also love your sunflower wallhanging, beautiful job.

Lorena said...

i love ur watercolor paintings. and i love me some japanese fabric, theyre soo beautiful!!

Cathy Pascual said...

beautiful fabrics! I would not know what to do with them though ;)

Diana Willis said...

Chris
I love the watercolor painting and your layouts you have been creating at Free Shopping!

Have a great day,
Diana

Rachel said...

Your paintings are like *W*O*W* but I am really blown away by the Key Lime painting!!! First of all, I am a Fl girl and LOVE me some Key Limes, secondly, I too, love yellow with green right now! Nothing says 1970's Florida snowbird like lime and yellow!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Oh my word Chris - you are one talented woman! I am loving all your projects! Those colors on the lime tree painting are gorgeous!!!!! Thanks for offering a RAK! I would love to win!

Katie said...

Visiting via A Year of Color. And what a wonderful, inspiring visit it has been! Thanks for the opportunity to enter your drawing. One of these days, I'll win something -- and if I'm super lucky, it will be those lovely fabrics.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Your paintings are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them!

Deana said...

The fabric is beautiful & so is your home! Your work ALWAYS inspires me... :-)

Hope you're having a GREAT weekend, Chris! :-)

McMGrad89 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McMGrad89 said...

To say you are a talented woman is an understatement. I am beyond jealous. You are the self-actualized ($Million Word) version of me. You do all the things I put on my plate, but never get to.

Annemarie (mommyvictory)

Michelle Gautreaux said...

beautiful fabric!
love your home btw!
And your paintings are fabulous!

Jenneke said...

What a beautiful home you have!!!! And so is your layout for the SATU-challenge! Thanks so much for playing along with us!
You are soooo creative, painting, quilting, scrapbooking, wow!!
And those fabric is absolutely gorgeous!!
Keeping my fingers crossed ;-)

Lori W said...

wow what gorgeous fabric! thanks for the opportunity!
Lori :)
lorwilb on sis

Penny said...

I luv that photo of your cat on your scrap bins!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am IN LOVE with that FABRIC!!!!!!!!! And wowwwwwwwwwwwwww your HOUSE IS BEAUTIFUL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Melissa said...

This fabric would definitely be a hit for me!
Thanks!
Melissa SIS:kylissa

Denise said...

WOW. Your painting is AMAZING. Thanks so much for offering the fabric RAK...I'd love to add them to my stash ;)

Nancy Teague said...

Enjoyed seeing your lime painting (in progress)! I've been into limes too so was taken by your piece. I think that's also why I liked your green monochromatic journal that you displayed on your 3/36 blog - very nice! Keep your creative flow streaming!

BRANDY said...

holy cow! You have some watercolor skills. Those fabrics are yummy. I am currently learning to quilt. I have found it is a very expensive hobby way more than scrapping, but after seeing your grandmother's quilt, it is a priceless hobby. Cheers!