Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Minding my p's and q's (painting and quilting that is)

I painted this yesterday in my watercolor class - it is painted on masa paper, which is sort of like rice paper. You crumple up the paper, soak it in water, and then glue it with Elmer's onto a piece of cheap watercolor paper. You can paint it wet on wet or let the paper dry. I painted the flower wet but the bee was done on relatively dry paper. It sort of has a batiky look. I bought a big piece of the masa paper from the instructor and painted this on half so I can play some more at home.
I painted an abstract and my instructor told me that it was really 2 smaller paintings so I cut it apart and played a little with the one part. The painting was a weird size so I wanted to get it up to a normal size for a frame so I cut it into even more pieces and mounted them on some scrap w/c paper and then cut out a branch from some unusual paper that I had bought at a thrift store.

This is the other half of the abstract- it has a very landscrapey look to me.
Here are some pieces of the beautiful fabrics I purchased Sat (on the left) and some from my stash. I am cutting out a new quilt for our bed.
Here are some of the blocks cut out on my design wall. Right now I have about half of the quilt cut out.
I am almost finished with a scrap layout for the newest Creative Type challenge - numbers. Right now I am waiting for a drawing I did for the layout to dry - I soaked it in coffee.
It is finally raining here - we had a really really dry winter and spring so the front that came in yesterday and is stalled over us is very welcome. It rained quite a bit yesterday and this morning when I went out to my car, I could actually see that the grass had grown overnight and the plants have fluorescent green tips as they are shooting out baby leaves. Hopefully I can get some photos of the incredible colors in the next few days.
Have a great day!




2 comments:

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Wow - you are one multi-talented woman! I LOVE that watercolor - the bee really looks like he is floating above the flower - so cool! I love all of your projects - so very creative!

Unknown said...

You quilt too????

you are full of it! (talent that is) teehee

those paintings are so fantastic. Can't wait to see what you do tomorrow....build a house or something? =D