Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fabric love and a reminder

I thought I would share a few images of my fabric love and creations - I made the above pin cushion last fall and then made several more to give as Christmas gifts to quilter friends.
A closeup as I was quilting this particular wallhanging (see next photo). I have made 4 wallquilts in this style - it is a tessellation pattern (a tesselllation is a form that fits together to make a bigger form with no gaps or overlaps.) I did a tutorial for this quilt for the Year of Color blog (posted earlier this month) - this month is multi-color and I chose to do the quilt in the dusky pinks, yellows, and greens of late summer.
Below you can see all 4 versions of this wallquilt that I have made. Sort of (in order from top left going clockwise) - multi garden summer, sunflower summer (I actually hung this in spring along with the daffodil painting that I did), red poinsettia for the holidays, and lilac lavendar (I usually hang this in the fall and put a vase of silk grape viney leaves in a lavendar vase in front of it).
Below is another small wallquilt that hangs in our living room - it's in a style called watercolor quilts - you put together small squares to create the impression of something like a garden or an emotion. This one is of sunlight shining down into the jungle - or at least that's what I was thinking when I designed it.
I am currently working on a patchwork table runner for the holidays - it will also have poinsettias appliqued on it. I am about half through with piecing it and hope to begin the applique work next week.
Today was very busy and very good! The book store was super busy as we had a sale on all of our paperbacks - 25 cents each. People came in and bought entire grocery bags full!!!!! I was able to pick up 3 very very old Horatio Hornblower paperbacks for my DH - he loves reading naval stories set during the Napoleonic wars. I also got him a great jazz cd (we also sell used cds, dvds, vhs tapes, puzzles, and cassettes.) For lunch I finally used my free KFC coupon for a grilled chicken 2 piece meal and since the Big Lots is right across the street, I stopped in there to buy some mini bagels and I found a Martha Stewart kit for tissue paper flowers - the stamens and tape along would have cost more. And then I went next door to the Humane Society Thrift Store - nothing in the craft or book stuff BUT in the designer clothes section, I found an Ann Taylor Loft sleeveless blouse in my size and the tags were still on it - and it was marked down to $1.50!!!!!!!!!!!! My lucky day!!!!!!
Tomorrow our new Fresh Market opens so I hope I can get by there as they are giving away free bags of coffee and some other stuff. I have to do some gift shop work but maybe I can get by before or after. I have been looking forward so much to the Fresh Market opening - we had one in Jacksonville and I loved their meats, bakery, wines, coffees, and bulk items. And their produce is always fabulous. Yay!!!!!!
Have a great evening and don't forget to get us your favorite movie layout at http://whatisyourfavething.blogspot.com/ by Saturday, August 29. The next challenge will be up on the 30th and you will love it, and all of the DT creations!!!!!!!!!!




8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

U seriously are sooooooooooooooooo AMAZING!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! Those quilts are JUST WOW!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! LOVE THEM!!! And YAY for finding bargain books for DH! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jamie Dougherty (jaylynn) said...

Wow your quilting is stunning!!! I love the art work of quilts. You are sooo unbelievably talented!!!

Deana said...

Adorable pin cushion & wall hanging! You are just one talented crafter! But I'm mostly lovin' that you scored a $1.50 blouse! :-)

Unknown said...

wow! Gorgeous!!!! Can't wait to see you OLW creation!!

sarah said...

okay so seriously.... ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!! how talented you are!

the quilts look amazing. and that pin cushion is adorable! :)

...and i love bargains!!! that never is a bad thing! wahoo! :)

hugs,
sarah.

mandysea said...

Oh my gosh!!! Oh my my my!!
I soooo want to do this one day!!
You are such an inspiration!!!

Georgia Visacri said...

OMG... {sigh}
Chris, those are amazing!! Love the pin cushion, so cute! and love everything else of course, you're very very talented!!!!

Shannon said...

Chris!!!
I wanted to let you know I received my fabric from the Year of Color giveaway, but I lost your email...I'm pretty sure it is buried somewhere in craft supplies! It's lovely and I thank you very much
:-)
Shannon