Sunday, September 19, 2010

The 2 P's - Prima and Pumpkins

I created this layout based on the Prima September BAP sketch so of course, it is totally Prima. I was going to tackle this one before month's end but this weekend has been the Scrapgal Crop and one of the challenges was to do a "case study" of another layout and lift it - I chose Jamie's wonderful example for the Prima Sept BAP (Jamie Dougherty - she used to be on the Scrapgal DT and now is on the Prima DT  - she is an incredibly talented designer). Come over to Scrapgal and join in the fun - you have until Monday night at midnight to enter the challenges and we have some super prizes and lots of great inspiration!
With all of the autumn and Halloween projects going on in my studio, is it any wonder that I painted some pumpkins and squashes. Speaking of, my DH read on one of his news sites that the pumpkin crop this year will be much smaller than normal due to weather issues, and that fresh pumpkins and canned pumpkin will be much more expensive. He is usually spot on with his economic information (just like the fact that coffee would increase and it definitely has) so I put canned pumpkin on my grocery list this week - our store didn't have any. Then yesterday when I was running errands, I stopped at a different chain and was able to get  3 cans - they only had 4 so I left one for someone else.
The budget is going pretty well except for the car repairs on both cars last week. Groceries were $61 this week. Yesterday I stopped at Goodwill (I am looking for a food processor -Dan read an article in the New York Times about food processors and some of the things you can do with them so I decided to look for a used one - (I have a small one that I use for chopping etc) - none yesterday but I did happen to find a wonderful wood table top easel (complete with brushes, palette, and acrylic paints) for $15 (they go for $50 or more) and a brand new topsy turvey tomato planter for $5. We are just ready to start our fall vegetable garden so this was perfect.
This past week has been super busy - I was able to get all the blocks pieced for the Fat Quarterly quilt along, knitted on my Ravelry triangle shawl knit along,  took my painting to the Art Museum to be in an exhibit, added yoga to my exercise routine, painted 3 small paintings and about 1/3 of a larger piece, read The Rebellion of Jane Clarke by Sally Gunning (very very good!), and also did most of the usual stuff. I feel exhausted just reading the last sentence!! I get somewhat lethargic in the heat of the summer and as it begins to cool (a bit!), my energy comes back gang busters - also, it is amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't go shopping except for necessities - I was just thinking yesterday how long it had been since I had been inside Target, Michaels, or even most of my thrift shop haunts. Using up what I already have is really empowering me to be more creative.

Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday.
Tuesday will be Mabon, the autumnal equinox.
We plan to celebrate with a good dinner and carrot cupcakes,
and give a prayer of thanks for our blessed lives.
Thanks for reading
ttfn
Chris

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I read about that about the pumpkins too on Bekka's blog!! How odd! :( I love love love love love the lo and loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that painting.... those flowers on your lo are amazing! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Deana said...

Beautiful page & watercolor, Chris! I love to see your art!

Thanks for the info on the pumpkins, too. Will be buying some canned pumpkin tomorrow when I go to the store! :-)

Enjoy your dinner tomorrow night... sounds special!

Bekka said...

Your painting makes me happy. The pumpkin shortage makes me sad...but I guess this just means I need to man-up and puree some pie pumpkins, right? :) You are a very good person for leaving one can behind!

Anonymous said...

Love your layout Chris! Beautiful colors and flowers!
That painting is gorgeous! Love those pumpkins!
Enjoy all your crafting!

EverydayMe said...

I love pumpkins.... and that painting is lovely.... {{hugs}} Michelle